One of the most frequent questions we come across is if there are benefits to having a chiropractor treat scoliosis. At Mauricio Chiropractic we have many patients that suffer from the condition. Let’s learn first what Scoliosis is and how we can help. If you suffer from this condition, it is imperative you seek a consultation with one of our scoliosis chiropractor.
What Is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis occurs when a person’s spine curves sideways. This abnormality of the spine most often occurs during a growth spurt before puberty. Scoliosis can also be caused by conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy. In most cases, it is a mild condition, but severe cases can be disabling. When children are diagnosed with it, they are monitored closely with the use of x-rays to determine if the condition is deteriorating.
What Causes Scoliosis?
An estimated 80% of cases are idiopathic, meaning that doctors do not know exactly why the condition occurs. The other 20% of cases are caused by improper muscle function or are a secondary condition. It can also be caused by a congenital curve, meaning that the condition was started at birth.
Are There Conditions That Can Cause It?
Some conditions that can cause it to include Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, birth defects, tumors, infections, and some genetic conditions. While these conditions do not explain the majority of cases, doctors now believe that Scoliosis has hereditary tendencies.
It most often occurs during growth spurts in children between the ages of 10 and 15. While idiopathic scoliosis is just as common in boys and girls, Scoliosis is 10 times more likely to worsen in girls. Worsening usually means an increased curve in the spine, leading to more serious symptoms.
Who Is Affected By Scoliosis?
it can affect anyone, from infants to children and adults. In children, Scoliosis symptoms can progress and worsen over time. Scoliosis in adults can lead to lower back pain as the disks and joints in the spine become worn out. Scoliosis in adults can lead to degenerative issues in the spine, so it is important to manage the condition.
What Are The Symptoms Of Scoliosis?
The symptoms can vary largely from one person to another. Symptoms can include uneven shoulders, hips, and shoulder blades. In more severe cases, it can cause the ribs to protrude out of the body. Symptoms can also include difficulty breathing due to pressure on the lungs and moderate to severe back pain. One of the biggest overall symptoms of it is appearance. As the condition worsens, people with Scoliosis often become self-conscious about their outward appearance.
How is it Scoliosis Diagnosed?
Once symptoms have brought attention to the issue, Scoliosis is easily diagnosed using the Cobb Method. By measuring the degree of curve in the spine, a doctor can determine whether a patient has it, as well as the severity of the condition. A positive diagnosis is determined if the patient’s curve is greater than 10 degrees. The condition is considered significant if the curve is above 25 degrees and is considered severe if the curve exceeds 45 degrees. If you want a spinal & postural screening, contact any one of our offices.
What Is The Treatment For Scoliosis?
The treatment can vary depending on the level of severity. For children, treatment may not be necessary, but it is important to closely monitor the condition with regular x-rays. In more severe cases, children need to wear braces to keep the curve from worsening. Some cases require surgery to prevent it from worsening. Some surgeries are aimed at straightening the spine to correct the curve. You can click the link to learn more about chiropractic care for children.
Can Chiropractors Help With Scoliosis?
One of the most important treatments for Scoliosis is the use of chiropractic therapy sessions. Studies have proven that chiropractic treatment can drastically improve the Cobb angle and help increase mobility. Chiropractors will also work on improving posture through spinal adjustments and the use of braces which can also reduce pressure. Experts have concluded that one of the most important elements in treating it is catching it early. That is why it is extremely important that you consult with our chiropractors if you have any of the symptoms mentioned above. Be safe and get checked out. There are millions of diagnoses made each year.
Finding A Scoliosis Chiropractor Near You
At Mauricio Chiropractic we help a number of patients that are diagnosed with scoliosis. While chiropractic care does not cure the condition, regular spinal adjustment, and chiropractic care therapy sessions can increase the comfort and mobility that a patient has. We have 9 chiropractic clinics based in Orlando, Kissimmee, and Melbourne, FL. Book an appointment today and consult with one of our highly trained scoliosis chiropractor.
You can also enter your email below to receive more information.