A healthy lifestyle includes many different factors, including exercise and nutrition. What may seem foreign to you though is how nutrition and chiropractic care go hand-in-hand. The promotion of healthy lifestyles is an important goal of chiropractic care. Nutrition is a great example of this. Proper nutrition is essential in keeping your musculoskeletal (MSK) system operating to its full potential. If you are seeking chiropractic care to recover from an injury or just to maintain MSK health, supplementing our treatment with a diet of healthy foods becomes even more important.
Healthy Foods Your Chiropractor Wants You to Eat
All food is composed of nutrients, which are the building blocks of life. The health of our spine and surrounding muscles rely heavily on which nutrients we do, or do not, provide our bodies.
Above all, by harnessing the immense power contained in your diet, you unlock your body’s capacity for healing. Most importantly, the benefits range widely, even in the treatment of osteoarthritis, and result in increased disc health. In addition, back pain and degeneration is actually linked to a lack of nutrients, indicating that diet can even contribute to preventing injury.
Healthy Foods to Eat
- Salmon (and other coldwater fish): Salmon contains Omega-3 fatty acids, which decreases inflammation in blood vessels and nerves, and improving blood flow, This provides the discs with vital oxygen and nutrients helping it to heal and staving off degeneration.
- Olive Oil: Contains anti-inflammatory compounds and has been proven to reduce spinal column cartilage inflammation. This controls back pain and stiffness.
- Turmeric: It has traditionally been used to alleviate pain and aid digestion. The active substance is curcumin. It helps with joint inflammation and protects from tissue damage and destruction.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin A and C that help restore cellular health, and anti-inflammatory flavonoids.
- Broccoli: It contains magnesium, which maintains muscle tone and bone density, and plays a big role in muscle contraction and relaxation. It also contains calcium, essential for healthy bones and bone mass, and vitamin K, which is needed for bones to use calcium properly.
- Red Grapes: These contain resveratrol, which blocks the response to inflammatory signals in certain cells.
- Thyme: It has been shown to be effective in combating pain by interfering with the way it is perceived by the body.
- Beets: they are full of antioxidants that repair the damage done by inflammation. It also contains high levels of potassium and magnesium, which are powerful inflammation-reducing agents.
Watch Your Caloric Intake
Although it has almost become cliché to talk about caloric intake, the foods you put in your body can go a long way in prolonging an MSK issue or putting extra strain on your muscles or joints.
In other words, the more high caloric foods you eat, the more weight you’re going to gain. Consequently, the more weight you gain, the more pressure your muscle or joints come under. It’s simple logic really, that most don’t think about.
Healthy Foods in Tailored Diets
Your chiropractor has the knowledge and expertise to tailor a diet or suggest foods that can directly address your injury or lifestyle.
For instance, those suffering from pain in a muscle or joint may be given an anti-inflammatory diet. This diet avoids foods like white bread and french fries. These foods are recognized as a foreign invader by the body. Which lead to an increase in inflammation as well as a host of other problems.
Lifestyle nutrition is also something your chiropractor can assist you with. Therefore, if you are into athletics a diet rich in complex carbohydrates is essential for intense training and competition. Your chiropractor can assist you in developing a meal plan to meet your needs.
Chiropractic Expertise in Nutrition
At Mauricio Chiropractic, our non-surgical, drug-free approach to healing your body and increase vitality, and promote well-being is at your service. We offer a nutritional counseling program to aid your body in unlocking its true healing capabilities.