Orlando Chiropractor Goes Over Treatment for Herniated Disc
What is a Herniated Disc? Between each vertebra of the spine, there is a spongy disc that acts as a shock-absorber and keeps the bony vertebrae from grinding on each other. These discs are very important for spinal health and functioning as it allows for flexibility of the spine in many directions. Each disc has a hard outer layer, called the annulus fibrosus, and a soft jelly-like center, called the nucleus pulposus. Through a variety of injuries and wear-and-tear, these discs can become damaged. When there is a crack in the hard outer layer of the disc, the softer inner layer can begin to push out. The exiting of this inner layer is called a herniated disc. This is a somewhat progressive condition as the outer section of the disc slowly degenerates and the liquidus inner part completely herniates. Having a herniated disc can alter your life in many ways so it’s important to speak to an Orlando FL chiropractor.
Causes of a Herniated Disc:
- Prolonged stress on the disc due to poor posture or excessive weight
- Sudden movements such as twisting and picking up heavy objects – Even sneezing can do the trick of pushing the annulus fibrosus to its literal breaking point.
- Increased age
- Pain extending into the arms or legs
- Pain and numbness, especially on one side of the body
- Pain that increases at night or with certain movements
- Pain that increases after periods of sitting or standing
- Pain when walking short distances
- Unexplained muscle weakness
- Tingling, aching, or burning sensations in the back region
If your herniated disc is left untreated, it could result in permanent nerve damage or a condition called saddle anesthesia. Saddle anesthesia consists of the herniated disc pressing on a nerve and limiting or eliminated sensation in the individual’s inner thighs, back of their legs, and rectal area. If you have any of the above symptoms, make sure to contact an Orlando FL chiropractor.
Chiropractic Care and Herniated Discs
Chiropractors may be able to alleviate pain and other symptoms of herniated discs. When you first meet your chiropractor, it’s important to undergo a full evaluation including a physical exam, medical history, and testing.
An Orlando FL chiropractor will evaluate the entire spine and accessory regions. The body is a whole unit and pain in one area does not necessarily mean that is the problem area. Your chiropractor will examine the full spine to see how it is functioning overall. This will allow the chiropractor to determine if there is any spinal disc injury and what type. This will then lead the chiropractor to deciding on a course of action to address your symptoms.
Your treatment plan will probably include some amount of spinal manipulation as well as other chiropractic techniques. Spinal manipulation, or adjustments, may include manual therapy, where the chiropractor physically moves and stretches your body, or therapeutic exercises, much like physical therapy. Every patient’s treatment plan will differ as their injuries and symptoms do. Other elements that are taken into account when creating a plan include:
- Your pain level
- Your activity level
- Your overall health
- Your previous injuries
How Does an Orlando FL Chiropractor Address a Herniated Disc?
There are several techniques chiropractors use when addressing the symptoms of herniated discs. Below is an outline of some of the most common techniques:
- Flexion-distraction – This technique involves a special chiropractic table that gently stretches the spine. The chiropractor is able to adjust specific parts of the table to isolate the exact area of the spine he or she wishes to stretch. There is typically no pain with this treatment. The spine is stretched in a rhythmic pattern that releases tension in the affected area. The internal substance of the disc is allowed to resume its natural position inside the annulus fibrous. This technique can help move the disc away from the spinal nerves, reducing pain and inflammation of both the nerve root as well as any related areas.Flexion-distraction is often repeated multiple times and combined with other techniques, such as ultrasound, muscle stimulation, and at-home treatments.
- Pelvic Blocking – This includes the using of cushioned wedges that are placed beneath each side of the pelvis to make it aligned. This gentle realignment allows the body to stretch the spine and release the pressure on the disc.
Finding a Qualified Chiropractor in Orlando Florida
There are many chiropractors practicing in the state of Florida. As with anyone that is performing work on your body, you want to be sure the Orlando FL chiropractor you choose knows what they’re doing. Be sure to do thorough research on anyone you may want to perform chiropractic medicine on your injured body.
Speak to an Orlando FL Chiropractor if You’re Suffering From a Herniated Disc
The Mauricio Chiropractic Group has extensive years of experience providing chiropractic care throughout Florida. We provide advanced spinal correction utilizing “state of the art” chiropractic techniques. Give us a call to speak to an Orlando FL chiropractor.
Chiropractic Care Near You
Mauricio Chiropractic have been providing expert chiropractic care in the Orlando area for decades. We serve in nine different locations including; East Colonial, Winter Park, Pine Hills, Downtown Orlando, Conway, South Orange Blossom Trail, Poinciana, Dr. Phillips & Melbourne. If you’re in need of chiropractic treatment, or want to unlock your body’s true potential, make an appointment with one of our esteemed doctors now. You can also enter your email below to receive more information.